The American Civil Liberties Union MO seeks several part-time, short-term contract field canvassers to work both in Saint Louis and Kansas City.
- Must be able to work at least 3-5 hours per week.
- No experience required.
- Must have reliable transportation.
- Wage: 15/hr
We're seeking several part-time, short-term contract field canvassers to sign up volunteers and help educate community members on the impact of the School to Prison Pipeline in their own neighborhoods. Canvassers will work with ACLU of Missouri’s campaign to break the school to prison pipeline. For more information on this work please see our report titled, “Pipeline of Injustice: From School to Prison.”
In schools across Missouri, Black students and students with disabilities are punished more severely and more frequently than their peers. During the 2015-16 school year, Black students were nearly 5 times more likely to receive an out of school suspension compared to their white peers. The consequences of excessive discipline extend far beyond the classroom, perpetuating cycles of poverty, low-education attainment, and structural inequalities that span generations. This crisis in our education system is also known as the “school to prison pipeline”.
Canvass experience is a strong resume-builder and will help build the skills necessary for future political, community, or fundraising work. Apply by sending a letter of interest to email@example.com. Applications accepted on a rolling basis but immediate applications highly encouraged.
- Effectively communicate issues one-on-one to community members
- Understand and articulate the broader concepts related to the School to Prison Pipeline
- Completely and accurately record data
- Prioritize volunteer sign ups
- Qualities and Abilities Required
- Canvassers must be skilled at engaging community members in conversation
- Canvassers must work well in a team and be flexible and adaptive to changing conditions
- Canvassers must be organized and clearly record canvass results in database
The ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status.
ACLU of Missouri Foundation undertakes affirmative action strategies in its recruitment and employment efforts to assure that persons with disabilities have full opportunities for employment in all positions. We encourage applicants with disabilities who may need accommodations in the application process to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.