The American Civil Liberties Union of Missouri Foundation, Inc. (ACLU-MO), seeks a full-time Policy and Campaigns Associate (the “Associate”) to support the advancement of ACLU-MO’s policy goals in local and state legislative forums, lobbying elected officials, building coalitions, and engaging ACLU members, supporters, and volunteers in realizing the ACLU’s mission through the legislative and campaign initiatives.
Be Part of a Pivotal Moment in History
Founded in 1920, the ACLU-MO is one of Missouri’s premier public advocacy organizations. The ACLU-MO, headquartered in St. Louis, is committed to defending and expanding the constitutional rights and civil liberties guaranteed to all Missourians under the United States and Missouri Constitutions through an integrated advocacy approach, using strategic litigation, campaign and legislative advocacy, community engagement, and communications programs on a broad range of issues. We are in the midst of planned growth and increasing prominence in policy issues including racial equity, education equity, voting rights, equitable policing, reducing mass incarceration, threats to reproductive rights, prosecutorial accountability, LGBT equality, free speech, and protecting privacy in the digital age. The ACLU-MO is an IRS 501(c)(3) organization and works closely with its sister 501(c)(4) organization.
Under the supervision of the Deputy Director of Policy and Campaigns, the Associate will engage in the ACLU-MO’s work on issues including First Amendment rights, voting rights, racial justice, the school to prison pipeline, legal system reform, reproductive freedom, immigrants’ rights, and privacy rights. The Associate will work closely with the organization’s Community Engagement, Communications, Litigation, and Development teams, as well as elected officials and other policy interested community-based organizations, members, and stakeholders to advance ACLU-MO mission, vision, and policy goals.
Policy and Campaigns Associate Responsibilities:
- Under the direction of the Deputy Director of Policy and Campaigns, develop and implement strategies to support and expand the ACLU-MO’s legislative and campaign work throughout the state of Missouri.
- Track legislative progress, produce reports, and highlights to share with stakeholders, media, and staff.
- Research proposed problems and policy solutions.
- Develop lobbying and outreach materials for stakeholders, elected officials, and partner organizations.
- Assist in drafting, editing, and proposing local and statewide policies.
- Coordinate and conduct outreach to stakeholders, volunteers, and elected officials to ensure advancement of ACLU-MO’s policy and campaign initiatives.
- Lead and assist the coordination of ACLU-MO’s current and growing coalition groups (virtual and in-person).
- Assist internal departments in maintaining database of volunteers for work in policy and campaign space.
In addition to the above responsibilities, other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of 1 year of experience in legislative or campaign work
- An understanding of Missouri’s legislative processes and procedures at the state level
- Willingness and ability to travel to Jefferson City and other places of lobbying and campaign interest within the state of Missouri
- Willingness and ability to work irregular hours, especially during Missouri’s legislative session (January - May)
- Demonstrated experience with volunteer engagement and mobilization, organizing, or related role
- Demonstrated experience in researching and writing about policy problems and solutions
- A passion for engaging elected officials and members of the community on civil liberties and civil rights issues
- Experience building relationships and coalitions with stakeholders
- Demonstrated experience uplifting and facilitating teamwork
- A personal approach that values the individual and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, religion, ability, and socio- economic circumstances
- A commitment to advancing the ACLU-MO’s values, mission, and programs
- Comfortability learning and speaking about issues ACLU-MO supports
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong time management skills, with an ability to work effectively to prioritize multiple activities and responsibilities
- Demonstrated ability to manage details and work independently
- Demonstrated ability to be organized, able to plan and problem-solve, and meet deadlines
- Proficiency in Windows, Microsoft Office, and Google Drive
- Familiarity or ability to learn campaign planning and management technology and software, including but not limited to tools like VAN and PeoplePower, etc.
- Proficiency with Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Zoom, and other forms of remote communication
- Willingness to continue to learn about Missouri’s political and campaign landscape
- Employees work with one another, with ACLU volunteers and with the general public. To protect and reduce risk of infection for employees and everyone with whom employees work, all employees must be fully vaccinated and boosted against COVID-19, as recommended by the CDC, and must stay current with protections against COVID-19 as recommended by the CDC and provide the ACLU with satisfactory proof of current vaccination status, unless exempt because of legitimate religious or health reasons. Based on public health recommendations for COVID or other future public health threats, the ACLU may require employees to take appropriate health and safety measures such as testing and wearing face masks or other personal protective equipment (PPE) when performing ACLU work with other persons. Proof of current vaccination status will be requested upon hire.
This job announcement provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment, and the description and/or posting may be changed at any time without advance notice.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
ACLU-MO offers a generous and comprehensive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience, within the parameters of a Missouri-based non-profit including paid vacation and holidays; medical, dental and vision insurance; life and disability insurance; and 401(K) retirement plan with employer contributions, and employer match of optional employee contributions. This position is full-time, salaried, and exempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- A copy of your resume that lists relevant experience.
- A cover letter describing your qualifications and interest in the role and our organization.
- A list of three references.
- A professional or academic writing sample no more than 5 pages, preferably regarding a policy initiative or other related advocacy work.
to: email@example.com. Please indicate “Policy and Campaigns Associate” in the subject line of your email. Please, no phone calls.
Application materials will be reviewed as received and will be accepted until the position is filled. Interested applicants are encouraged to apply by 5:00 p.m. Central Daylight Time on Thursday, September 22, 2022.
ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.
The ACLU undertakes affirmative action strategies in its recruitment and employment efforts to ensure that persons with disabilities have full opportunities for employment in all positions. We encourage applicants with disabilities who may need accommodations in the application process to contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.